Accounting for Online Businesses & eCommerce
SDG Accountant designs accounting and tax solutions specifically with online and eCommerce businesses in mind. Our CPA team of experts will provide you with accurate, efficient, effective, and flexible solutions that aim to allow you to spend more time actually running your business and helping it grow and adhere to the complex rules and regulations that are specific to their industry across Canadian provinces and the U.S.
Dropshipping (also referred to as e-commerce) is a retail fulfillment where an enterprise does not store the goods it sells in stock. Instead, when the company sells a product buy from a third party and that third party ships it directly to the customer. Consequently, the enterprise rarely sees or handles the goods. It simply acts as an intermediary.
The largest difference between dropshipping and retail is that drop shippers do not stock or own inventory, whereas retailers tend to store inventory. Instead, the drop shipper buys inventory as needed from a third party, most often times a wholesaler, to fulfill orders.
Less capital is required
- It is possible to launch an e-commerce store without investing tens of thousands of dollars in inventory upfront. In contrast, retailers often have to invest thousands of dollars to purchase and store inventory.
- Drop-shippers do not need to buy inventory until they have already made the sale and have been paid by the customer. Without major upfront investment.
- Easy to get started
- Drop-shippers do not need to worry about:
- Managing or paying for a warehouse
- Packing and shipping your orders
- Tracking inventory for accounting reasons
- Handling returns and inbound shipments
- Continually ordering products and managing the stock level
- Drop-shippers do not need to worry about:
- Low Overhead
- Do not have to deal with purchasing inventory or buying a warehouse, thus overhead expenses are very low.
- Many successful drop-shipping businesses are actually run from a home office with simply a laptop.
- Flexible Location
- Drop-shipping can be run from anywhere with an internet connection. As long as you can communicate with suppliers and customers, they are going to be able to successfully manage their business.
- Wide Selection of Products
- Because you don’t have to pre-purchase products you sell, it is possible to offer a wide selection of products to your potential customers. If suppliers stock an item, you can list it for sale on your website at no additional cost.
- Easy to Scale
- Traditional businesses usually have to do three times the amount of work to get three times the amount of business.
- For dropshipping, most of the work to process additional orders will be borne by the suppliers, allowing you to expand with fewer growing pains and ultimately less incremental work.
- Low margins
- Low margins exist as many entrepreneurs will start dropshipping and selling items at very low prices with an intent to grow revenue fast. This is because they’ve invested so little in getting the business going so they can afford to operate on very small margins.
- Further, customers are constantly comparing prices which can lead to cutthroat competition among dropshippers with already low margins. As you can probably guess, profit margins on dropshipped products can be eliminated fairly fast.
- Inventory Issues
- Traditional retailers can keep track of items that are in and out of stock, as they have the items in their warehouses. However, it becomes more difficult for dropshippers as they are often sourcing orders from thousands of different merchants who are also filling orders from other merchants. It is often very difficult, often impossible, for dropshippers to fully sync their inventory with their suppliers who many times are not willing to support the technology needed.
- Shipping Complexities
- Dropshippers often work with many different suppliers, therefore, products listed on the website are often sourced through many different shippers. This complicates shipping costs.
- A customer makes an order for three different items which are sourced from three different suppliers. The dropshipper will be forced to incur shipping charges for sending each item to the customer, but it’s probably not wise to pass this charge along to the customer, as they’ll think you’re grossly overcharging for shipping! And even if you did want to pass these charges along, automating these calculations can be difficult.
- Supplier Errors
- Even the best dropshipping suppliers make mistakes fulfilling orders – mistakes for which you have to take responsibility and apologize. And mediocre and low-quality suppliers will cause endless frustration with missing items, botched shipments, and low-quality packing, which can damage your business’s reputation.
Book a free 15 minutes, no-obligation consultation to get more information about how we can help you with your specific needs.
NEED HELP WITH A SPECIFIC SERVICE?
Tell us your goals and the expertise you need – and we’ll build it!
“Timely, Reliable and Knowledgeable service. I filed my taxes with Sami and his team and they provided the Next Day service of my return, which is incredible. Also, with the highest refund, I have seen on my taxes to date. I attribute this to their diligence and attention to detail. Very thankful I chose to file my Taxes with them and the fact that they communicated with me along the way.”
“I switched from being an employee to an independent contractor and SDG was able to give me the right tax tips I needed… thanks team I will be coming back to you come tax time.”
“I would highly recommend SDG Accountant Ltd. as a complete and reliable tax filing return. The agency’s consistency and professionalism were far more superior then other firms I have dealt with before. Their attention to detail and commitment to each client is what sets them apart from other firms. I was very satisfied with their work ethic, and believe it would be very beneficial to any business or individual.”
“Sami and his firm have provided me with tax preparation and related tax counsel/advice for my business tax returns from 2013 through 2015 and maintaining my business books. He has been knowledgeable, reliable, efficient and demonstrated great integrity across the work he has done for me and my small business. He is also friendly and enjoyable to work with. I will continue to use Sami and his team for my tax and business needs and I highly recommend them.”
“SDG Accountant gets the job done quickly and with no hassles. When you want to maximize your return within the guidelines of the CRA, SDG is the right choice. They ask for all the information they’ll need up front, and once they have it, your return is ready in the next couple of days. Would highly recommend, I know where I’m going for tax year 2016!”
“I had an enjoyable experience with Sami and his team, while I was filing my taxes this past weekend. It was quick, professional, and worth the money as well. I filed them on Saturday and got my T4 summary emailed back to me the next day. I highly recommend SDG Accountant Ltd for your tax needs.”
“Sam, probably the most well dressed, professional, fast and easy accountant. He really did a great job at filing my taxes!”
“Sami at SDG Accountant was fantastic. He was very efficient and professional. He thoroughly answered all of my questions and was very knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him and the SDG CPA firm.”
“What a pleasant experience! So professional, timely and efficient. Sami was helpful and knowledgeable, he answered all my questions and concerns. Very happy with the outcome and will be returning!”
“SDG accounting is by far the best experience I have ever had. They are quick, knowledgeable and very efficient. I know that I will be going back to Sami and Andrew every year. They went above and beyond! I highly recommended anyone needing tax or accounting services to get in touch with these gentlemen.”
“Approached SDG for a CRA issue I was dealing with. I sat down at their downtown office and in a matter of a few weeks my issue was fully resolved. I cannot thank you enough for all of the help. I look forward to working with your team in the future if the need arises!!!”
“What Stands out about this firm is they’re very personable with their clients. As a dual citizen, I am limited in my options for firms who can handle both U.S. and Canadian returns and file them accurately. I approached SDG and they have a U.S. Tax lawyer on the team who works closely with their CDN office to ensure that foreign tax credits are being claimed properly. I am glad I found this firm as I will be looking forward to working with them for years to come!!!!”
“I approached SDG accountant for my accounting and tax needs. I run an online marketing company and wanted to get the best possible tax planning scenario. Sam sat down with me and listened to my goals and what I wanted to accomplish in the next few years. He worked out a strategy and gave me processes to help my business finances be more organized. As an owner of a small corporation, I can trust SDG to deliver professional services at a reasonable price. Thank you guys and I look forward to continued satisfaction.”
“Great Experience Working with SDG Accountant. Smooth Process with Effective, Timely and Professional Service. Would Highly Recommend them.”
“Amazing service!! I was impressed with the quality of service and professionalism. I would choose SDG Accounting over H&R Block any day… quick and easy nothing beats them!”
“The whole experience was amazing!! So timely, professional and efficient, Sami filed my taxes as soon as I had sent him all the necessary documents with zero hassles. He will certainly be my accountant in the next few years! Thank you!”
“SDG Accounting consistently helps me with my personal and small business accounting. It’s difficult to keep up with all my finances and I couldn’t appreciate the help more than I already do. Thanks a lot for the constant advice and returns.”
“I have been using the services from Sami as my accountant for years now, and he is an absolute lifesaver. He and his team at SDG Accountant helped me out of a messy situation from my previous accountant and my businesses are thriving now. Much more than just accounting, business and tax advice is second to none. I highly recommend SDG Accountant to anyone who is serious about their business and going to the next level.”
“Dear Sami and Andrew Thank you very much Gentlemen for being able to resolve my issues with the CRA. You’ll have been a very professional organization that treats clients’ issues very seriously and with respect. I am so glad that I found you’ll online, my previous company took so long and finally I just gave up on them. I and my wife thank you once again and wish you all the very best. Thank you once again.”
“By far the best tax experience I’ve had. SDG Accountant is an effective and efficient firm that offers professional yet personal service. They took the time and energy to make this an effortless process and got me back more than I could hope for. Very knowledgeable. I will be using them for years to come. Thanks!”